Since our first visit in 2018, Pali has put several of our recommendations into practice. At Pali, pigs are stunned with electricity. They are moved in small groups towards a single file which they have to enter one after the other. This single file leads them to the belly belt conveyor, which carries them towards the automatic stunner.
Most important improvements:
- Sides of the single file raceway were closed to prevent distractions from the side.
- Light inside the single file raceway was improved (green and more bright).
- An S-turn was built in order to make the entrance towards the single file raceway less abrupt and therefore less scary. Watch a video here >>
- The color of the anti-reverse doors in the single file raceway was changed so they are less of a visual barrier.
- Several banners are hung up at different locations in the slaughterhouse to improve handling.
- The pen for suspect-pigs was made more comfortable (rubber mats).
- The unloading dock has been completely renewed, so there will be a lower chance of pigs balking or slipping (which was a concern during our previous visit).
- Metal strips, drains and other distractions on the floor were removed.
- A false floor will be built underneath the belly belt conveyor restrainer to take away some of the fear pigs experience entering it.
We are very pleased with all the adjustments that were made. They have led to a significant stress-reduction amongst the pigs. We would like to compliment Pali for their impressive efforts so far and their motivation to continue lowering the stress-level further.