There are more and more companies in the plant-based food business developing “plant meat”; not using animals for protein but rather alternatives, like pea protein, soya protein and Jack Fruit for example. There is also the Clean Meat initiative; growing meat from cells so that it tastes the same as regular meat but billions of animals do not have to be killed for it. Dairy is being made with almonds, oats and soya, soon they may even be able to make CleanDairy from cells. Future plant-based options is one of the fastest growing development right now in the food business.
To read about these options, and new developments, see the links below.
- Het Parool: Vegan Fresco, the first sustainably equipped supermarket where only vegan and plant-based products are sold, opens its doors in Amsterdam in January (only available in Dutch)
- The Guardian: No-kill, lab-grown meat to go on sale for first time
- Reuters: Science fiction no more, can lab-grown meat feed and save the world?
- NPR: Ready For Meat Grown From Animal Cells? A Startup Plans A Pilot Facility
- Ted Talk Paul Shapiro: What Will Future Generations Think of Our Treatment of Animals?
- CNBC: The Push to Pea Protein- Plant-based alternatives